TJ's Reviews > Dancing on Coals

Dancing on Coals by Ellen O'Connell

4.5/5.0
What a wonderful book! It is not at all what one expects from an Indian/settler Western. First off, it is not set in the usual time period where the battles were at their worst. It takes place at the very end of the native American's fight for independence and follows a small hodge-podge group of Apaches who live in hiding rather than submit to the horrors and poverty of the reservations. The time-line follows them through their fights, their struggles against impossible odds and finally their submission when they realize their only victory will be in insuring there will be future generations of Apache to carry on, whatever the cost.

This is also not a wild, intense shoot-em-up Western but a quieter love story between a white woman who, through circumstances beyond her or the Indian's control, must follow them to stay live, and the angry warrior she learns to understand and ultimately love. Although all the situations may not be totally believable, Ms. O'Connell gives the reader enough surprising twists and turns to keep one guessing - and reading. As an added bonus, we get to see forward to 1915 and learn how those once fierce warriors accepted the changes they could not resist. A wonderful and enlightening change of pace!

*For clean readers* There are a couple of very mild and easily skippable sex scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing on Coals.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jill I just saw this comment TJ. Well thanks lady, I trust you too!

Jill Hey TJ, I didn't know you were currently reading this. Phew, I always worry when I get excited about a book and recommend it. So happy you enjoyed it!

message 3: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ I really did! I haven't been on the computer enough this past week to keep up with my books. I'm trying to catch up this weekend :)

Heather I don't usually like to read non-clean romance, but you made this sound so good, and I haven't found a really good Native American romance yet, so I'm reading this now! =)

message 5: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ @ Heather, Oh,I hope you like it. You will have to tell me what you think!! As for the steam factor, it is one of those "totally clean...except" kind of books.

Heather I did really like this!! I really wish it would have been clean - I find I feel less giddy about the characters falling in love when they jump right into having sex as soon as they realize they have feelings for each other. But I still couldn't bring myself to give this less than 5 stars! It was so wonderful besides that.

message 7: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ That's EXACTLY how I felt, Heather! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, though :):):)