alex's Reviews > Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey

Fireboat by Maira Kalman

May 30, 08

bookshelves: picturebooks

Leon loves Kalman's books about Pete, the dog who eats everything, so I tried this one too. It's a lovely tale, but I really wish that authors or publishers would think about putting some kind of warning on Picture books - which are aimed at little kids - when that book contains massive death (9/11 in this case), which can be hard to explain to those little kids. Yes, I could have read it myself before reading it to Leon, but it's a PICTURE BOOK for goodness sake. I shouldn't have to check it for appropriate subject matter. Not that kids need to be shielded from everything, but anything 9/11 related tends to make me involuntarily start to cry (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem), which makes it even harder to keep Leon from worrying about the airplanes hitting the buildings and the fire and the people.

A lovely tale, of a retired fireboat that was saved by individiuals, and to everyone's surprise ended up being ssential to the firefighting effort at the WTC site after 9/11. But probably not for pre-schoolers. More for NYC and fire fighting history enthusiasts.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireboat.