Hans's Reviews > The Gospel in Brief

The Gospel in Brief by Leo Tolstoy

Sep 14, 09

bookshelves: religious, spiritual-development, leo-tolstoy, russian-literature
Read in September, 2009

This was a great read for me from a different perspective on the gospels of the New Testament. Translated from the oldest Greek originals in existence and condensing the four gospels into one, Tolstoy attempts to focus only on Jesus' teachings as opposed to his miracles. He emphasizes what he believes the central aspects of the teachings of Jesus really are: To love God and Man as yourself is to recognize that all life comes from the same source. That time is illusory and we only live in the present. That God is that which gives life and is therefore present in all living things. Once someone realizes and embraces these ideas they are set free from the confines of their limited perceptions of reality.

I have to admit this aligns almost exactly with my own life philosophy. Organized religions seem to always lose focus on these aspects, i.e. love, even though they are fairly universal in importance to most major world religions.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gospel in Brief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Reading your review makes me want to read this. I think I'll check it out when Iget the chance.