Maia B.'s Reviews > The Girl with No Shadow

The Girl with No Shadow by Joanne Harris

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from November 05 to 07, 2011

Oh this was good. I know it was good. But I can't work up any emotion over it - even though I loved the writing, I liked the villainess (well, I liked her villainy, but I have to say I think I'd enjoy actually being her), and I rooted for all of the good guys beginning to end.

The problem eventually was Vianne Rocher. She didn't...do anything for me. Her daughter I loved, but Anouk got so little page space and Vianne so much that she didn't entirely make up for her mother's lameness.

Plus, when the book starts out Vianne and Anouk have LEFT the village in Chocolat, and Roux, and everyone. WHY?? It's not explained until way later in the book. And I WANTED TO KNOW! Why did she leave Roux? Why did she leave her chocolaterie? Why did she leave her friends? Why, why, why?

I can't even remember. What I do remember is, Roux comes back in the end, and I was so happy for them that I actually whooped. Aloud.

But somehow, I just can't give it four stars. Something was missing. Not the chocolate - oh my god in heaven, the chocolate was so good my mouth is watering just thinking about it, months after I read it originally. No, I think the problem was that Vianne...irritated me. She did. She was stiff, stubborn, mean...she loved Anouk and she couldn't let her go anywhere. I wanted Anouk to live, I wanted her to wear her own lollipop shoes, but Vianne kept stretching out her hand to cover her daughter's eyes. It drove me half-crazy.

Anyway, it works perfectly well as a stand-alone, except for the romance, because Roux only comes back in the last ten pages or so. If you didn't know Chocolat, you wouldn't be convinced.

Anyway. It's a wonderful book. It is. I love it. But Vianne leaves such a sour taste in my mouth that I can't get over her.

Fortunately, Anouk is so wonderful that she almost makes up for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl with No Shadow.