Everest's Reviews > Low Town

Low Town by Daniel Polansky

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, ficton, own
Read from November 07 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Really, I'd probably give this book 3.5 stars.

This is a book that left me, in many ways, unsure of my feelings towards it. I liked the gritty, bleak style in which it was written, and really enjoyed the social commentary that was such a big part of this book. Yet, I was never really able to form any sort of connection to the protagonist, or find it in me to care what happens to him one way or the other. The Warden of Low Town is very much an anti-hero, but that, in and of itself, wouldn't preclude an investment in the character. I think what really prevented that from happening was the general apathy which permeated every aspect of this book.

Aside from that, there really wasn't much of a fantasy aspect to this book at all. For the most part it was just a fictitious crime mystery. So if you approach this book for the fantasy aspect, you'll likely be very disappointed. Also, if you approach this wanting a tricky mystery that leaves you guessing up until the last page, you will, again, be disappointed. It's readily evident who the "bad guy" is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Low Town.