Jennifer (JC-S)'s Reviews > Deadly Shoals

Deadly Shoals by Joan Druett

Jun 07, 08

bookshelves: librarybooks
Read in June, 2008

Wiki Coffin is the linguist and captain’s clerk on a US exploring expedition which has reached the Rio Negro. The Rio Negro, in 1839, is a remote area of Patagonia famous for rough gauchos and revolutionaries.
Wiki has another role, though, as a sheriff’s deputy and it is via this role that much of the action in this novel unfolds. A whaleman in search of his stolen schooner sparks a search which leads to the discovery of murder. Solving the murder(s) (and finding the missing schooner) leads Wiki on a number of adventures involving an assortment of scoundrels. Along the way, the reader acquires all manner of important nautical information and factoids, including the role of testicles in Polynesian navigation .
This is the fourth of Ms Druett’s novels to feature the inimitable Wiki Coffin. I’ve not yet read the other three, but I will certainly be looking out for them. Wiki himself is a thoroughly likeable character and is a superb protagonist in this particular setting. Ms Druett herself is a well-known nautical writer and historian, and a number of her books (both fiction and non-fiction) are on my reading list.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Shoals.

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Hi Jennifer, enjoyed your review. Am a big fan of the series and have heard from the authour the series was dropped by St Martin and a new one is not forthcoming, which is a shame. Joan's 'In the Wake of Madness' is a good read as well

Jennifer (JC-S) Hi Scott, thanks for your note: I'm pleased that you liked my review. That is a shame that the series has been dropped. The first book of Ms Druett's I read was 'Island of the Lost'. I'll be looking to read as many of her other books as I can lay my hands on.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott She has a good website, that book you mentioned is being turned into a movie

Jennifer (JC-S) Thanks for that info as well, Scott. I'll search out Ms Druett's website.