Paras Allana's Reviews > The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: crime, classics, really-liked-it, mystery, would-reread, philosophy
Read from November 08 to 20, 2011

Review for The name of the rose:
A very powerful novel. It contains mystery, philosophy and history all at the same time wrapped in different layers of a puzzle.

At first I wasn't sure how I am going to get through with the book. I wasnt much familiar with christian history or latin and my knowledge of medieval time was very limited. I was then recommended the key of the name of the rose for the translations. But amazingly, once I got hold of the plot and story, I didnt required the key much and could go through the book on my own. The translations are helpful but not necessary.

The mystery in this book is a real mystery, it makes you wonder and so does discussions through out the books. It represents many point of views as well as a view of human nature. I say that specially because of how one character could defend two contradicting points at different time according to the need.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Rose.

11/11/2011
11/16/2011
39.0% "I am almost completing 5th day in my version of kindle, how and why m i still on 39% if the book has 7 days [minus extras]"
11/16/2011
70.0% "Oh wow! I have two books in one [both being TNotR]. That explains. So I must be somewhere arnd 75%. And I thought I'll never get over with this book :)"
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Judy Interesting points, Paras. I will keep them in mind when I read this book next year. :)

Paras Allana I really hope u enjoy it too :)