All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Steel's Edge

Nov 26, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in November, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

Ilona Andrews is one of the most consistently satisfying paranormal authors writing today. Whether it’s the grittier Kate Daniels urban fantasy series or the more rural The Edge paranormal romances. Picking up an Ilona Andrews book is always a good idea, but it’s especially true when a series ends as strongly as this one does in STEEL’S EDGE.

From the debut, The Edge series has been a wonderful blend of genres: part paranormal romance, part fantasy, part mystery, part action adventure, part regency. In STEEL’S EDGE, all of those parts are accounted for, but the regency feel is much more prominent since this book takes place mostly in The Weird, a first for the series. In way, STEEL’S EDGE feels like two separate but complementary books or parts. The first half is set mostly in The Edge (the sliver of land caught between the magical ‘Weird’ and the mundane ‘Broken’). We learn crucial backstories about both Charlotte and Richard. I so appreciate the equal focus given to both the heroines and heroes in this series. By the time they get together, I’m always so invested in the characters separately that the union feels so much richer.

The second part takes on a new setting and a much different tone in terms of storytelling. The book shifts away from the swashbuckling adventure that the series is know for and moved into a regency espionage with undercover spying, elaborate cons and artifice. It did feel very different for the series, but not in a bad way–though I imagine some readers may not agree. The romance remains a dominate theme throughout both parts of the book, and longtime fans of the series will be thrilled at the expanded role both George and Jack have in this second part as well.

Very said to hear from the authors that they have no plans to write a fifth book in The Edge series. From the beginning of the series the characters of George and Jack (now teenagers) stole my heart and I was hoping to eventually get a book or two entirely about them. And with the expanded storyline involving Sophie in STEEL’S EDGE, I can so totally see where one of the boy’s romantic future might lie. Hopefully the sales for this book will be significant enough to warrant more books.

Sexual Content:
A couple moderately graphic sex scenes, vague references to sexual slavery and molestation.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steel's Edge.