Kim's Reviews > Dance Dance Dance

520753
Jun 15, 08

bookshelves: contemporary
Read in June, 2008

This is my first foray (redundant much? please forgive)into Murakami. I hate to say that I'm actually surprised that I enjoyed it so much. I don't know, maybe I just assumed that since I'm not really into Asian Culture that I would write it off and just know that at least I'd given it a try.

The first person narrative approach usually doesn't work for me. I have a hard time escaping into the story, knowing that the character is just relaying it to me. But, here, the protaganist is able to engage the reader and his observations and overall quirkiness endeared me to him immediately.

There is an airy quality to the writing that often made me forget the despair and fear of life that the character is grasping with throughout the novel. Such heavy phrases as In other words, what we seek is some kind of compensation for what we put up with' and the Sheep Man's advice to Dance, you gotta Dance as long as the music plays' is well delivered.

I am definitely interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance Dance Dance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sally Are you going to read more Murakami now?

message 2: by Shelly (new)

Shelly I've read one Murakami book (Norwegian Wood) and really liked it. It was a gift from a friend, I probably would've never picked it up off the shelf on my own, so I'm glad it was gifted to me.

I'll have to check this one out. (After I get to The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, and Kafka on the Shore...Sheesh. There simply isn't enough time in the day!)

message 3: by Kim (last edited Jun 15, 2008 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim

Yes, I'm just looking for advice about which one to read next. Was this a sequel? I kinda got that from the book jacket maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion Shelly!

Sally I think I am going to read The Wind Up Bird Chronicle next. I'm liking South of the Border, West of the Sun but it's a super quick read. I'd like something a little bit more weighty for the next one.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 15, 2008 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RandomAnthony The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is huge and brilliant, Sally. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I go back and re-read sections all the time...can't wait to hear what you think.

Kim, glad to hear you're converted! The Sheep Man turns up in Wild Sheep Chase as well:)

message 6: by Lori (Hellian) (last edited Jun 16, 2008 12:50AM) (new) - added it

Lori (Hellian) Yes the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a great book. I'm a huge Murakami fan. Kim, I know what you mean about being surprised since you are not into Asian culture - I was too after I read my first novel of his. Extremely accessible, and very universal themes. I've read a bunch of his books, Norwegian Wood is so evocative I still remember phrases from it. I'm putting this on my to-be-read list.