Camille's Reviews > By the Light of the Silvery Moon

By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, christian-fiction, net-galley-reviews, 2-and-a-half-stars, period-fiction, barbour-publishing
Read from February 23 to March 15, 2012

We are drawing close to the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

Such a horrible tragedy.

Coinciding with the 100 year anniversary is the release of

By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review through NetGalley. I am under no obligation to write a positive review, just an honest one.

Amelia Gladstone and her aunt are moving their lives from England to the United States. There is a man anxiously awaiting to meet her after her arrival, and she presumes that it is likely he will become her husband. He has kindly paid not only for her passage in second class, but also for the passage of her aunt and her brother.

But last minute, her brother is unable to go with them, so when Amelia sees a man i rags being kicked off the ship for trying to sneak on without a ticket, she gives him her brother's ticket.

Quentin Walpole has been living in poverty for a few years, having lost all of his wealth. Titanic will enable his return to America, and hopefully to a new start. Away from the family he has left, and who has left him.

But as God would have it, riding first class is Quentin's father and brother, which Amelia discovers when she accidentally calls his brother by Quentin's name on a chance encounter. Quentin's father hasn't seen him for years and worries for his safety, and doesn't even know if he's alive. But when she confronts Quentin he wants nothing to do with them, and requests that she not tell his family that he too is on board.

As both brothers begin to fall for Amelia she is torn between the affections of three men. But when tragedy strikes and the ship begins to sink there's a chance she'll lose them all.

Will Amelia find the love she never thought possible? Or will she fail to survive to make it to America?

Read By The Light of the Silvery Moon to find out.

I really liked the idea of this book. I love Tricia Goyer, and enjoy her other writing, so I wanted to give this book a try. I had never read a fictionalized account of the Titanic, and with the anniversary coming so soon I wanted to give it a try!

It was really interesting reading a book where you know for sure that a tragic event will happen. But instead of feeling like I was disinterested because I could guess what would happen, the opposite happened. Knowing the Titanic would hit the iceberg and then sink built so much suspense because as I read through the book I kept wondering "When will it happen? When will the ship begin to sink?!"

The first part of the book mainly follows Amelia getting to know the two Walpole brothers, and trying to find a way to get Quentin to reunite with his family. It isn't until the very end that the boat hits the iceberg, which made it a suspenseful read, but also made it feel long because I was anxious to get to the sinking.

I won't give away the outcome of the sinking as that would ruin the book for those who want the suspense. But what I will say is that it was the sinking that was a let down. In writing about such a tragic event I expected a lot more drama and suspense. I was definitely a bit disappointed because the whole event seemed a lot more calm than I imagined it to have actually been. I pictured a lot more panicked and scared people screaming, yelling, scrambling about, and the way this book comes off, I pictured something more like people orderly waiting in line for most life boats.

So in that sense, the book was a let down. I enjoyed most of it, except the ending. It felt too calm, and a bit too contrived.

All-in-all, I give this book 2.5 stars. I much prefer Tricia Goyer's amazing Amish fiction writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Light of the Silvery Moon.

03/07/2012 page 30
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel Brand I'm really looking forward to this, love Tricia and love Titanic stories :)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate How is this? I've only read books by Tricia that she has co-authored by someone else, so I don't feel like I have a good grasp of her personal style.

Camille I love Tricia Goyer's work. I'm just starting this so I don't have a good feel for it yet!

Abbie I am just starting this! Looks good!