Tait's Reviews > Our Lady of the Flowers

1198007
Sep 17, 2008

bookshelves: french, literature
Read in August, 2008

The cover of my edition of Genet's tale of homosexuals and thieves hails it as a masterpiece of eroticism and depravity. While that may have been true in the forties when the book was written, we live in an age where such stories just aren't as shocking. Instead I found this book to be almost more of an account of the kinds of spirituality that still haunt the edges of society where such notions as religion have seemed to cease to apply, and as such it was quite moving, and for the most part beautifully written. I would have given it another start except that the text as a whole tends to be more of a character study then a sequence of events, and though the ending scenes are worth reading to I felt that the plot could have gotten there without as many incidental character-development scenes. Another interesting authorial technique Genet uses is placing himself within the story, and actually writing the story as the novel goes along.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Lady of the Flowers.

06/02 marked as: read