B.C.'s Reviews > A Flight of Angels

A Flight of Angels by Rebecca Guay

Nov 22, 11

Read on November 21, 2011

This book was received for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I was excited to read this graphic novel as it has been a while since I read a graphic novel cover to cover; the reason being that most graphic novels fall into two categories for me: GN’s that focus on the art and care little of the writing and GN’s that care more for the writing and little of the art. There are only a few gems out there that have both beautiful art and beautiful writing. This book is unfortunately no exception. This GN falls into category of focusing on the art and not on the writing. I almost feel bad saying this because very established authors contributed to the collaboration.

The art in this book is absolutely beautiful. It is more like a series of classical paintings than a comic book. The angel designs are very original and I would return to this book for inspiration if I were to write on angels in the future. The coloring feels like rotoscoping and I could look at this art over and over again.

As for the writing, there were maybe two of the five stories that were well written. In these two stories the writing keeps up with the art and they complement each other wonderfully. The other three are plagued with awful dialog and fail to keep up with the beauty of the art. I was constantly annoyed with words in bold for unnecessary emphasis. I felt like the speaker could not control the volume of their voice and words burst out of them uncontrollably.

If you are going to buy this book, buy it as an art book and consider the two good stories bonus material.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Flight of Angels.