Alexa's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: arc, borrowed, tour, didnt-finish

I read up to page 41 in Why We Broke Up, and I could not bring myself to read more. I felt like the story was going so fast, and I got irritated with Min's voice (the story is a letter Min wrote to her ex-boyfriend, some jock guy from her school called Ed). And Ed? Who? I couldn't even picture him in my head. Seriously, I just saw a blob. I even skimmed to see why they broke up, and it was very annoying. If I actually read the entire book, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a headache.

Now, with the way Min talked...or how the author wrote. I did not like the writing AT ALL. This was the main reason I didn't like this book. There were many run-on, never-ending sentences...!! I started thinking, 'AHHH! MAKE IT STOP! IT'S TOO LONG! SOMEONE GET ME A PEN SO I CAN SCRIBBLE IN PERIODS!' And by the time I was done with those crazy did-not-even-make-any-sense sentences, I couldn't even remember what I read. It also didn't help that the ARC was pretty heavy to hold.

Thanks Crystal for letting me borrow it; I wish I had liked it, but unfortunately, I couldn't finish it. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.

11/12/2011 page 41
11.0% "Think this is the page I stopped."

Comments (showing 1-28)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Crystal What do you think so far?

message 27: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa Didn't get to it yesterday, but will start today!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) I've been seeing this around lately. Hope you enjoy it, Alexa :)

message 25: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa I...don't think I will be finishing this. o.x;;

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Oh no, that bad huh. The book I'm reading is getting a little slow on me. Which is frustrated since it started out so well. :/

Tatiana Alexa wrote: "I...don't think I will be finishing this. o.x;;"

Did Min annoy you too? (I hope so. Being a lonely hater is no fun:o)

message 22: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa @Tatiana: Oh yeah, she did. x_x

Tatiana Your review = my thoughts exactly.

Is this how men envision teen girls, I wonder?

message 20: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa Tatiana wrote: "I kept thinking - Please, some commas or periods! And stop being so hormonal, lusting over him so damn much. And talking about movies too."

LOL!! Exactly!

Tatiana wrote: "Is this how men envision teen girls, I wonder?"

Maybe this guy. x.x

message 19: by Crystal (last edited Nov 12, 2011 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Crystal So sorry you didn't care for this one =( I understand completely though. Min was very annoying lol. Her movie stuff and the whole party thing bugged me too. On to the next book! =)

message 18: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn Was the writing style similar to the Series of Unfortunate Events?

message 17: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa @Crystal: The movie stuff made my eyes glaze over. lol XD Yes, on to the next book! :D

@Jordyn: I've never read that series. I'm wondering the same thing tho.

Jennifer Crispin I'm so thankful I'm not the only one! When I gave it three stars (should have given it two), nearly every other rating was five.

message 15: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa This just won a Printz Honor.

o_O

I'm surprised The Scorpio Races did too (although I liked that one).

Tatiana Add me to the list of the surprised too. I know hardly any people who enjoyed this book. But I guess librarians liked it.

message 13: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa It was the artwork. Having it made the book so unique. ;P

lol I really don't know. I didn't like the book or the artwork. :)

message 12: by Min (new)

Min Green And that, Alexa, is why we broke up.

message 11: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa I was like, 'Why does the name Min sound familiar?'
That is hilarious!

AnnieM I'm with ya, but I've made it further than you. I keep reading and hoping for a point.

As for the style, it's not like the Series of Unfortunate Events. This is a hot mess of everything your grammar teacher told you not to do. It's not just the never ending sentences, but the pages of solid blocks of text that fill pages and pages.

Worst of all my biggest complaint is its weight. The book irritates me because as I try to read it it is so blasted heavy that it makes my wrist lock-up. I know that's the price I pay for a you filled with accidents and team sports, but still.

I'm so glad I'm not alone. Thank you!

message 9: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity Alexa I read up to the same spot and I completely agree. She's awful. On the plus side the art is pretty so I might just look at that. ;)

Josephine Now I don't really have to elaborate in my review. I FELT THE SAME WAY.

Lara i thought it was just trying to be artsy and cool by using all this supposedly descriptive language and movie references, and, despite trying so hard, it was just such an average plot and relationship.

Josephine Lara wrote: "i thought it was just trying to be artsy and cool by using all this supposedly descriptive language and movie references, and, despite trying so hard, it was just such an average plot and relations..."

Exactly. It could have been a cool book if it had tried better. My hopes were set so high, too...

Marie I stopped for the same reasons. So disappointing!

message 4: by Aml (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aml I think the idea of Ed was supposed to be brought into your head by youdelf. I think the reaso the author did not characterize his looks alot gives us room to interprite what we think he would be like.

message 3: by Sjw (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sjw I agree. I do not think the book was very good. I didn't like the way you could look at the first page and know what the entire chapter was going to be about. I also could not picture Ed in my head. There wasn't a good description of what he was like or what he looked liked.

message 2: by Ronchem (new)

Ronchem the thing that you all are trying to describe is the stream-of-consciousness narrative device. for me, i liked how sincere it sounded. it's like how i pictured myself to be thinking i.e. not in complete grammatically-correct sentences but in chunks of run-ons, unrelated stuff and all that "grammatical mess". and then again, maybe i'm just crazy.

Stephanie Weeks It definitely took me to page 50 to really get into it- the plot picks up fast & is great though, and I really hated the narration at first too. it's definitely an acquired taste.