Tait's Reviews > Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable

Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable by Samuel Beckett

1198007
May 30, 08

bookshelves: french, irish, literature

While most people are familiar with "Waiting for Godot," the play that made him famous, few have braved Beckett's prose writing. Dense and dreamlike only scratch the surface, having been influenced heavily by Joyce and Proust, Beckett sets out to destroy every convention and form of thought available to language, so that we are left with plotless, settingless, and even characterless stories that nonetheless explore the despair and consciousness of what it means to be alive. Not for the casual reader, or even most experienced ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE Yep. I've read all 3 of these. Amazing writing.. but I'm glad I DIDN'T WRITE IT b/c I wdn't want to be in that mindset for as long as it wd've take Beckett to do so..

Eddie Watkins I know what you mean. After I finished reading them I almost felt possessed, like my thought patterns had been altered into those of Beckett's. His prose is great, but there is almost something dangerous about it.

Tait Yes, that was exactly my reaction too, I'm glad somebody else went there already... certainly changed my perspective on writing a great deal.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

plotless-settingless-characterless.you certainly got it. Do you know the story of Beckett,s illumination while he was with Joyce in Paris? Joyce said he wanted to write a book that had EVERYTHING in it-a one book for all time. Walking home Beckett suddenly thought "but why not a book with everything removed from it"..yet still remaining a text on human existance and mans perception of it. When i first read Molloy-i was 16-i thought it exciting and revolutionary-i have read it five times since-re-reading it now at 66 and every page is frightingly simple -obvious-and true.To age,to inch towards death,Beckett is the one companion you would want with you,and Molloy is the one book you would not destroy to line your pants with.
richard

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

new to computer-but people laugh when i ask where to buy typwriter ribbons.i found it such a coincidence the on my 6th re-read-comeing home from macbook lesson to Yonkers-the armpit of westchester-you are discussing the sucking stones-which i was just re-reading-now not intimidated by the math-but delighted by the solution-throw the damn things away-forget about 16 pockets or stones either-i read several of the other reveiws of the "non trilogy" and am saddened and annoyed by them-said fuck it by page 7-who ARE these people?-nihilistic-existential-Molloy has nothing to do with philosophy or psychology-it is pure Samadhi-as a soto zen buddhist for 45 years-in the finalthird of my life these passages scream out to me-Beckett speaks of the purity of "listening" of the ecstatic state of being "beyond thinking" he is dealing with consciousness examining consciouness-no duality here-screw these heavy theorist and lets open up another bottle of red wine.yours in the void richard

message 6: by A. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A. This trilogy has a certain hypnotic quality to it, despite the difficulty in reading it...