Tatiana's Reviews > Arcadia Awakens

Arcadia Awakens by Kai Meyer

Dec 17, 11

bookshelves: abandoned, urban-fantasy, ya
Read on December 17, 2011

As much as I want to know more about the difficult main character (she lies, steals and is fond of acting all emo), as much I like a good mafia story and as much as I adore an exotic locale (Sicily!), the writing (or the translation) is just not good enough. The sentences are choppy and don't flow together, the observations are often trite or unnecessary, the narrative is dull, distant and lifeless.

This might be the case of writing style incompatibility though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia Awakens.

12/17/2011 page 21
5.0% "Not sure I like the writing style of it. Very fragmented." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Tatiana. I had a pretty rough time starting up Arcadia Awakens because of the writing. I didn't realize that it was a translated novel, though! Thanks for pointing that out.

message 2: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I guess it grew on you?

It's hard for me to enjoy stories with whose writing style I don;t connect:(

Emily May Hmm, I found this to be really dull as well, but I put it down to me experiencing UF overkill (I remember that I'd read about four in the space of that one week). It's interesting what you pointed out about the quality of translation, and odd that I didn't think about that before.

By the way, dropping it was a good decision - it doesn't get any better.

message 4: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 17, 2011 11:56AM) (new) - added it

Tatiana It's one of those books that I'd really like in theory, but it's a rough ride in reality. Maybe German doesn't translate well into English?

And I decided to not try reading beyond 50 pages thanks to your review. Even though you didn't have problems with the writing, your assessment of the entire plot didn't lead me to expect more exciting things to come.

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya Too bad most people whose tastes usually match mine didn't like this one. I'll still try it soon, because the series is really successful and I want to know what it's all about >.< Gotta try and keep my expectations really low.

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat This is slightly unrelated to your review, but how to you mark a book as abandoned?

message 7: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Create a new shelf, name it "abandoned" and mark it as exclusive.

Here are instructions:

message 8: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Interesting, I'm going to try this one in English as well as German and see how they compare. :) I'll tell you what I think.

Carlie Hughes I read that you thought it was not translated well but I decided to read it anyway. I just finished and re read your review. I admit I had totally forgotten it was translated. I liked the book a lot. But it had parts that I found ridiculous.

Karolina What a shame! Here in Germany, this series is seen as one of the best, it's really successful. I myself have already read all three books in german and I had nothing to complain. Tatiana, it's kind of hard to translate the atmosphere of a german book in english, as the grammatical parts and most of the verbs are really difficult to find a synonym for. Hope you could understand my english :D

message 11: by Elena (last edited Jan 02, 2013 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elena It is for sure because of the translation. I have read all three books in german and always found Meyer's writing style to be rather beautiful and fascinating. But I get what you mean, I read the "Strawberry Picker" book translated into english after reading it in german and it was just not the same. Translators tend to cut out a few important parts of sentences and mush it together.