scissorstoariadne's Reviews > Helen of Troy

Helen of Troy by Margaret George

M 50x66
Nov 07, 11

liked it

Greek mythology, or mythology, in general, is and will always be one of my great loves. (I say this at the risk of sounding completely demented) The story of Helen and the fall of Troy was never my most favourite myth but recently, I started to gravitate towards it and am very fascinated with many of the secondary characters involved. I was pleased to read that George had included them with sufficient backstory: Cassandra, Clytemnestra, Aphrodite, Athena, Electra, and Orestes.

What was really entertaining about this novel is that George really captured the beguiling charm of a good ol' Greek myth in its setting. The inclusion and interactions of the characters were believable, yet equally magical.

What irked me is that Helen of Troy is overly long, making it a bit of a drag when the tension was shifting between events. George is occasionally abrupt and sparse with language, which might have compounded this. Plus, Helen, at times, felt a little too passive and introspective to my liking, since I expected her to be one of the more vivacious women of Greek mythology. But I did like her maternal instinct throughout the book. Switching between narrators might have made the novel a bit more invigorating; I would have loved to hear from, perhaps, Clytemnestra, or Achilles.

Overall, it was an enriching read, albeit a little slow-moving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helen of Troy.