Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside)'s Reviews > Bend Sinister

Bend Sinister by Vladimir Nabokov

Nov 07, 2011

bookshelves: literary-fiction, yay-angst, eat-prose-with-spoon

Let me get this out of the way first: I have a lot of respect for 1984. It's a good book. It's a great book, in fact. George Orwell was a master at his craft.

But Bend Sinister is so amazing, so delicious and so emotionally deep that as good as 1984 is, Bend Sinister still manages to feel like "1984 done right."

Nabokov uses the full force of his incredibly nuanced, unique command of language to paint a picture of a totalitarian regime. His images are beautiful and stunning, and the story at the book's heart is disturbing and relevant to our time.

I think this is one of his best works, right up there with Lolita, and it deserves to be read, particularly by fans of dystopian fiction and by aspiring writers. There is no one better to study than Vladimir Nabokov, who could pack so much imagery and complexity of emotion and character into a slim little novel like Bend Sinister.

This one has a rare permanent place on my book shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bend Sinister.

08/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye I must read this. It sounds like you have the Right Angle on this Bend Sinister.

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) Heh heh...CLEVER, SIR. It is a really good book, particularly if you love juicy prose. Nabokov is the reigning king of amazing prose.