planetkimi's Reviews > The Magic of Ordinary Days

The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel

Jun 01, 08

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction
Recommended for: becky might like it?
Read in June, 2008

I almost stopped reading this book several times because I found myself wondering "What is it exactly that's keeping me reading?" I think it might have been the synopsis on the back of the book - I knew an event was coming that might liven the book up a bit.

The plot was refreshingly unusual. I think its languid pace and annoyingly delayed admissions didn't appeal to me. However it does describe people dealing with some very thorny issues with grace and compassion. It definitely casts judgemental people in an unfavorable light.

The first person narration effectively draws the reader into Olivia's shoes. Olivia herself extends sympathy to the characters she meets, and the narration lets the reader ride along on her sympathy toward the other characters.

In my final estimation, the book was just kind of bland. The story is, in fact, very ordinary, and I just don't think that's my cup of tea for recreational reading. I may change my mind ... there's something about how Olivia found happiness when she started really looking around her that I find haunting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic of Ordinary Days.