Christy's Reviews > My Dearest Enemy

F 50x66
Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: 1-own-it-kindle
Read from January 09 to 11, 2012

I have got to quit trying to post reviews from my iPhone! This is the second one it ate. (Really my fault 'cause of big fingers and little buttons.)Regardless, it's most annoying to try to re-create my earlier review.

First of all, I really loved this book. I think I've decided that Connie Brockway is my kind of writer. Her writing is very lush and at times overblown, but something about her style really appeals to me. She reminds me a bit of Loretta Chase and Sherry Thomas, two of my very favorites, so I am happy to be discovering her at a time when she has a large backlist for me to explore.

As for this particular book, I liked the characters, felt their motivations were understandable, if not necessarily how I would have handled things, and especially liked the somewhat different sort of hero. Avery is somewhat reminiscent of Teddy Roosevelt, in that he was a sickly boy who overcame his physical frailties to become a worldwide explorer. I would have liked more about just how he managed to become the man he was, but he was a terrific character even without a complete understanding of his past. The heroine took too long to come around, of course, but at least her resistance was understandable and not based on a Big Misunderstanding or--my most hated of all plot devices--an unread, unopened letter (most hated mainly because I would never be able to throw away a letter unread, no matter who it was from).

One final gripe: I'm delighted to be able to find older books that are not in the library available for the Kindle, but really, it irritates the heck out of me to have to pay nearly cover price for a poorly formatted book. If publishers are going to provide an inferior product, they should do so at a substantial discount. There's just no excuse for charging full price for books riddled with errors like, "Lily bit her Up in frustration." Better quality control in the conversion process or, saving that, deep discounts are definitely required.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dearest Enemy.