Aubrey's Reviews > Zoo City

Zoo City by Lauren Beukes

4119460
Dec 17, 15

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star, reviewed, reality-check, r-2012, r-goodreads, antidote-think-twice-read, antidote-think-twice-all
Read from February 25 to 29, 2012

3.5/5
Well. I won't deny the fact that I didn't expect to love it. It may be that the recent trend of reading classics has left me suspicious of anything modern. Unfair, I know. But my reasons for this particular rating are sound enough for me. The writing was pretty typical: caustic wit, descriptive passages, hints at the unknown until they are dragged into the light. You know. (view spoiler)That and the whole African music scene, which I didn't understand much of; bit difficult to enjoy pop references when you can't tell what's real and what's fiction. The book would be a plain three star if it wasn't for the interjections of reality between chapters: spam email, news articles, excerpts from scientific articles, even the webpage of an IMDB style movie article. Those were refreshing, and indicated some real thought into the universe. If only the main framework wasn't so obviously inspired. And the ending wasn't the greatest either. I didn't see any mention of a sequel in the book itself, but I think it could do with one, if only to give the author a chance to expand the universe a bit more with ideas of their own. And avoid having that ending being the end.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zoo City.