Michele Harrod's Reviews > Hollowstone

Hollowstone by Dennis R. Upkins Jr.

Nov 07, 2011

liked it
Read from November 07 to December 10, 2011

I actually enjoyed this book. I would say it's target market is teenage boys, as the dialogue is pure "teen boy fantasy" in places, but teen boys amuse me, so I found it quite entertaining. I didn't take any of the chauvanist comments personally, so was not offended as I can see many readers have been. Maybe because I am not an LGBGTY or whatever the code is? It certainly had some good twists, and repulsive rich-kid bad guys to loathe. I particularly liked the wrap-up and closure for all the characters, something that is often lacking in good fiction or TV series. This would be a great tween TV mini-series, with an "upgrade" of the dialogue. Takes a surprising turn with the arrival of a helpful 'angel'. Unexpected, but fun.

One note to the author, drug is not an alternative word for dragged. "Drug" is something taken to get better, or high. Dragged, is when you are being taken across the floor, either under your own volition, dragging you legs behind you, or by someone else, usually being lifted under your armpits. Please get that right in future!! Since most of the kids in the novel had a penchant for drugs, it flowed badly using the word incorrectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollowstone.

12/04/2011 page 100
41.0% "Took a while to get into it. Definitely some ridiculous stuff in here - sorry, but no teacher at any high-school is going to tell a female student to do with her gum, what she does with half the football team and 'swallow', and not get his arse sued. It perhaps should have been set in the 70's to fit the tone? Will stick with it though, the hints of more twists to come are interesting - so far."
12/04/2011 page 100