Lisa M.'s Reviews > Pet Sematary

F_50x66
Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in November, 2011

I read this in the end of October because it was Halloween and I wanted some scares! After reading "the Shining" and "'Salem's Lot" I was ready for more King. This book was disappointing compared to the other two I read by him. While I found the characters interesting, they all semeed simple compared to the character's in King's other novels. For example, compare Louis with Jack of "The Shining:" Louis is a husband, father, and doctor. He loves his family and is rational when it comes to aspects of spirituality. He has some conflicts, such as his issues with his father-in-law, but we don't learn a lot about him. This, compared to the wonderfully written Jack, whose terrible childhood we know in detail; whose psychological issues are deep, complex, and outlined. The simplicity of the characters in Pet Semetary made it hard to invest in. This, plus the small cast-- King's novels can have dozens of characters, it would seem-- made this book very slow.

The only parts of this book that genuinely frightened me were those that involved Rachel's sister. That was scary. However, some of the other stuff seemed silly, such as the spirit that inhabited the further burying ground.

Otherwise, the fear and despair in this book actually disturbed me. I was upset on a base level that does not usually happen when reading. I almost cried at points. Due to the fact that this was poorly written, plus the disturbing emotional content, it was a disappointing read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pet Sematary.