Brandon's Reviews > The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars

The Murder of the Century by Paul  Collins

Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: kindle
Read from November 07 to 12, 2011

I'm not exactly sure how I came across this book and decided to read it. I think it was that my library had copies for the Kindle, and there was a waiting list--so I decided to see why. Anyway, this isn't the type of book I usually read--true crime, that is. But even so, I found it pretty interesting. Being about a murder, it is a bit gruesome from time to time, though the author doesn't delve into more detail than needed. The most interesting part of the book, and the one that was most-interesting to me, was how the newspapers at the time, Hearst's "Journal", and Pulizter's "World", fought an increasing battle of oneupmanship to out cover each other. This--the influence of the yellow journalism of the day--was the best part of this book for me.

Would I recommend this? If you're into history, want a well-written and well-researched book with a twist of mystery, and are into criminal histories, then you would probably enjoy this book. I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. Actually, now that I think about it, if you liked "The Devil in the White City", you'd probably enjoy this book. They had a very similar feel and time-period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of the Century.

11/08/2011