Abby's Reviews > The Tale of the Body Thief

The Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice

3461977
Nov 13, 11

Read from November 07 to 13, 2011

** spoiler alert ** In Anne Rice's universe, vampires cannot have sex. I thought it was interesting how Rice managed to make her books erotic in spite of this, without shoving sex in the reader's face. I like that aspect of The Vampire Chronicles. But as soon as Lestat becomes human, we learn that he is a big fan of casual sex. He raped a stranger, had sex with another woman not long afterward, and then tried to make a move on his dear friend David, who refused him. I don't blame him. David was seventy-three years old, after all, and I imagine that would be a tad bit awkward. The sex scenes weren't very graphic or offensive, however, although I like Lestat's character less than I did before. But it's not enough to make me hate The Tale of the Body Thief. In fact, I think it's fair to say it's better than its predecessors. For one, I got through it a lot quicker. In Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and The Queen of the Damned, Rice seemed to be in love with her own prose, so much that she described every single little detail. It really detracted from the story. In this novel, however, she simply told the story and she told it well. The plot even seemed more gripping and interesting, although I knew how it was going to end. Of course Rice wouldn't leave Lestat in a human body; he always has to be victorious. There was a little twist at the very end, however, that I wasn't expecting. All in all a good read, and I plan on continuing the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of the Body Thief.