Immen's Reviews > True Grit

True Grit by Charles Portis

U 50x66
Jan 17, 2015

liked it

It's just like the movie, so I loved it.

Now about those little differences. The movie plays up the humor of other people (that poor Colonel Stonehill who was told Fort Smith would be the Pittsburgh of the Southwest!) being perplexed by Mattie, where the book is quite faux-serious, because Mattie is a serious girl and a seriouser woman who does not dwell on the unaccountable reactions of less serious personages. In line with this, book Mattie is very religious. She makes some very assured and detailed references to the bible (jeez, over-educated, lonely women and their bibles), in particular at my hands-down favorite little detail bit, which I will now describe.

Where in the movie Mattie is all "Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell cat", book Mattie goes on to say "I do not boast of my own gifts in that direction. Figures and letters are not everything. Like Martha I have always been agitated and troubled by the cares of the day but my mother had a serene and loving heart. She was like Mary and had chosen 'that good part'". Do you hear that unfortunate high-pitched noise? That is me squealing. The humorless snap of it! The bible reference! The stubborn filial piety! "That good part"! God bless you, book Mattie. God bless you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Grit.