Joy H.'s Reviews > Audition: A Memoir

Audition by Barbara Walters

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: audio-version, celebrity, memoir, biography
Read from November 07 to 30, 2011

_Audition: A Memoir_ by Barbara Walters (first published in 2008)
Added 11/7/11.
I listened to the audio version of this book. I found it much more interesting than I expected it to be. Barbara Walters knew so many famous people and through her we get a glimpse of those people's lives as well as her own. This audio version is read by Bernadette Dunne whose voice is very pleasant to listen to. Somehow she transmits Barbara Walter's personality in a very likable way. There are 21 discs altogether.

I never realized how much stress Barbara Walters endured as she climbed the ladder of success. She was one of the first women to break into the male-dominated world of TV news reporting. In this memoir she describes the politics which went on behind the scenes. The story of her switch from NBC to ABC is riveting. As I listened to the CD, I admired Walters more and more. Before this, I've had reservations about her personality which seemed hard-boiled. But in this memoir she seems far from hard-boiled. Perhaps one gets that way after going through what she has been through. She says that both Frank McGee and Harry Reasoner gave her a hard time when she worked with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audition.