Connie's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, winter-2011, contemporary-fiction, coming-of-age, australia
Read on January 30, 2012

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy lives a boring life as a cabdriver with no ambition, and his social life consists of card games with old friends. He has fallen for Audrey, his best friend, but she dates other guys as boyfriends. Everything in his life is routine until he becomes a hero stopping a bank robbery.

Then a playing card is delivered to him--an ace of diamonds--with addresses for him to visit. As he observes the people at the addresses, he thinks about what they need. He learns to care about and to help others. Some of his simple acts of kindness are just wonderful. More playing cards with additional messages are then delivered to him, and Ed matures as he becomes more involved with life and with other people. But he has no clue where these messages are coming from.

This was an enjoyable book with good characters and lots of humor. I was very impressed with Markus Zusak's creativity in this coming-of-age novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.