Cecily's Reviews > One Second After

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Nov 07, 11

Read in November, 2011

Absolutely a must-read. You will start to think about survival plans for your family with an intensity you might never have considered necessary (or sane) before.

What would happen if a nuclear bomb were detonated in the atmosphere over the United States? It wouldn't be a Hiroshima-type nightmare -- something far worse. Such a detonation (in the atmosphere) could create a massive Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP), causing all electronics -- cars, phones, computers, nearly EVERYTHING you can think of -- to instantly cease working. Civilization would stop right in its tracks, literally. No electricity (not even generators), no method of travel, no method of communication with anyone outside your immediate community... life would be thrown back to a new Dark Ages.

Once the canned and dried food ran out... what would you do? When marauders attacked your home, would you be prepared and equipped to defend it? So many things to think about. What if you needed a particular type of medicine to treat a certain condition? Worse, what if one of your CHILDREN needed that medicine to survive? To what lengths would you go to procure it?

Diseases that today we can treat relatively simply, with little change to our lifestyle, would suddenly become life-threatening. Instead of instant fatalities in one centralized location (which is what a nuclear bomb would do), people would die slowly, some quite painfully, as life-sustaining equipment (dialysis machines, pacemakers, life-support systems) stopped working, morphine and other painkillers ran out, antibiotics were used up, flu/cholera/dysentery epidemics spread, and the food ran out.

Desperate people would suddenly do desperate things they would never have imagined themselves capable of doing. Would yours be one of those desperate families, unprepared for disaster? This book left me reeling... and rethinking my own perceptions of what our family would really need to have or do in order to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Second After.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael I don't know exactly how I got to your books list, and I surely don't know why I picked this title to see your review! Aargh! But can I ask you one thing -- have you done anything differently since reading this book?