Good Zack's Reviews > Veins

Veins by Drew

Nov 07, 11

Read in November, 2011

This is the most realistic book I've ever read in my entire life. It hits so close to home-- almost too close for the delicate and empathetic soul that I have-- one from which I have, in my maturation to adult, disallowed myself to go to my local supermarket alone around dusk during cold times of year for fear of breaking out crying at the sight of the crowd which pervades the city from which I hail, a city much like the Columbus described in Veins: a city filled with M.R.s, with pawn shop owners, with abusive parents, loved ones killed dead in a public space from substance abuse (just trying to feel good in life for once instead of awful-- for my family, it was oxycontin on the bench of a bus stop.)

If you find Veins disturbing, you aren't from one of these cities, one of the true throbbing masses of life in America, and you've probably lived a happy and posh life, or you just haven't learned to feel, and instead you remain ignorant of the M.R.s around you, or you intentionally turn a blind eye-- you don't want to deal with that shit that you despise; why can't they be successful and happy and work hard like everyone else? I understand. I wish I could turn a blind eye too.

This book is also extremely funny because it is very ridiculous, but could still, without a doubt, exist in the real world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veins.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mishaal This is my favorite review.

I would like to say that the idea of "you've probably lived a happy and posh life" or whatever I disagree with. I don't think that being from a privileged background equates to lack of character. I think that's a really harsh stereotype that a lot of media perpetuates, and is sort of unfair. I do agree with the rest of the thoughts whole-heartedly. You writ a goodn, Good Zack, d00d.

That being said, man I agree. It is so so heartbreakingly good. I laughed and cried simultaneously, throughout. Thanks for letting me borrow it.

Christopher You describe it really well and while I agree with Mishaal about it seeming a little too far to call detractors 'probably posh', the point you make about people turning a blind eyes is very true. I really liked this part of your review: " instead you remain ignorant of the M.R.s around you, or you intentionally turn a blind eye-- you don't want to deal with that shit that you despise; why can't they be successful and happy and work hard like everyone else?" I think that does sum up the attitude of so many people and it's very sad. The overwhelming feeling I got, too, was that it was so ludicrous yet so depressingly, hilariously possible.

Christopher Your last sentenc eis one of the things I love most about the book. How is it so ridiculous yet so instantly believable?

"you don't want to deal with that shit that you despise; why can't they be successful and happy and work hard like everyone else?" That bit of your review made me sad because it's such a good observation and true