Cathy's Reviews > Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World

Folks, This Ain't Normal by Joel Salatin

Nov 07, 11

Read in November, 2011

This was a very interesting book. How is life different than it was a scant 80 to 100 years ago? Dramatically. People - particularly American people - are for the most part completely disconnected to their basic needs. Food, water, energy, heat -- all essential for life, are provided to us by some process we mostly don't understand. If we suddenly found ourselves without them, or the means to procure them, we would all literally die for lack of knowing how to get them ourselves. In a word, we are dependent. Not only is this not normal, it's downright dangerous.

Salatin uses good humor, some cutting sarcasm, but mostly gentle urging to explain to us the importance of getting back to our "umbilical" connection to the earth God gave us. And he offers advice on how to do it, beginning with making friends with your local farmer and knowing where your food comes from. Plant a garden, start a compost bin, join a CSA, learn how to make a cystern to collect and store rain water, learn how to can-- eat real food. These are all things that, if seriously pursued, can only help ourselves and our environment. Even if you're a died-in-the-wood city girl(or boy) like myself, there are things you can probably go out and do right now to make a contribution to normalcy. I started an herb planter in my kitchen this week. The seeds have sprouted and grown nearly three inches in a little over a week. (I feel better already!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Folks, This Ain't Normal.