Al's Reviews > 'Salem's Lot

U 50x66
May 29, 2008

liked it
Read in May, 2008

Unbelievable as it may be, I'm a newcomer to Stephen King. I decided to start with this one, since it appeared shorter than most and I'm sick to death of 800 page books. I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I got seemed to be a pretty garden-variety vampire tale. Yes, there are flights of discourse on the state of evil in today's world, and yes, there are vibrant descriptions of various typical small-town characters and their tawdry doings, and yes, some of the action scenes are really horrific. You can easily see why Mr. King sells millions of books.
So maybe I should let it go at that. But I have to say that 'Salem's Lot doesn't even come close to Interview With the Vampire, or the grandparent of them all, Dracula. Maybe I was expecting too much. It's not that I wouldn't read another Stephen King book; I liked this one. It's just that I wish there were some shorter ones. Anybody have a suggestion?

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Salem's Lot.

message 1: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Cordner Try his short novel selections

message 2: by Al (new) - rated it 3 stars

Al Thanks, Paula.

Brady The Colorado Kid and Carrie are the shortest ones I can think of. But your best bet is Different Seasons, a collection of (mostly excellent) short stories.

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra There are two kinds of Stephen King novel: 1) The scary, horror type that he does well and makes a mountain of money out of, like "It" etc. 2) Incredible literature that he takes time out to sit down and craft, like "The Green Mile" etc.

One of the latter that also happens to be short (I've read it a couple of times because it's so engrossing and so quick to get through) is "Dolores Claiborne".

message 5: by Al (new) - rated it 3 stars

Al Alex wrote: "There are two kinds of Stephen King novel: 1) The scary, horror type that he does well and makes a mountain of money out of, like "It" etc. 2) Incredible literature that he takes time out to sit do..."

Thanks, Alex. I'll give it a try.

Bryan Try " the historian" cool vamp novel

message 7: by Al (new) - rated it 3 stars

Al Thanks, Bryan. I did read The Historian, a long time ago, before I started with Goodreads. Don't remember the details, but I thought it was quite good.