RJ's Reviews > Enemies and Playmates

Enemies and Playmates by Darcia Helle

1471987
Nov 09, 2011

Read from November 07 to 09, 2011

In a recent interview I was asked to note my three favorite authors. I named Nelson DeMille, Robert Crais, and Darcia Helle. After reading Enemies and Playmates, I may have to change the order of those selections.

This is a classic tale of good versus evil. Ms. Helle does a masterful job of crafting characters that the reader truly cares about early on in the plot. The protagonist, Lauren, is a 22 year old woman who has grown up in a household with an abusive father, Alex, who is a lawyer with powerful connections. The description of how Alex made life torturous for his family evokes strong emotions.

Lauren discovers true love early in the story. Unfortunately, her boyfriend's ethics clash with Alex's amoral approach to life, and he forbids Lauren from pursuing the relationship. As the stakes rise we experience Lauren's fear of crossing the man who has totally controlled her life, and her need to carve out her own identity.

Beyond the relationship issues, there is no shortage of action scenes to get your blood pumping at an accelerated pace. I highly recommend Enemies and Playmates to thriller fans who love to root for good to triumph over evil.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enemies and Playmates.