Kelly's Reviews > Bad Boys Do

Bad Boys Do by Victoria Dahl

Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: netgalley, ebook
Read in October, 2011

This is book 2 in the Donovan Brothers Brewery. Unlike a sci-fi novel, this book is not simply filler between books one and three.

Jamie Donovan is the middle child in the family. Before him is older brother Eric, whom he fights with regularly. After him is Tessa, the wholesome daughter who isn't as wholesome as Jamie thought, but who holds the family together. (See Tessa's story in Good Girls Don't.) Jamie is a bartender and the face of the family business. He is very personable and loved by all in the town. He has a reputation for being a lady's man who can't keep it in his pants but that isn't who he really is. Eric believes Jamie's reputation and that irritates Jamie.

Olivia is a teacher at the local college. She has an ex-husband who has sort of controlled her life. She's ready to get her life and herself back. She's awesome! I very much relate to Olivia. She's quiet and finds relating to other women challenging. She's smart and capable but has people in her life, including her mother, otherwise. She has found a wonderful friend in her co-worker, Gwen, who has a nice little side story romance of her own. (So happy the professor wasn't some weird stalker dude or stuck up prick but an actual nice guy!)

Gwen tricks Olivia into attending a book club meeting at the Donovan's Brothers' Brewery. Olivia, thinking it is an actual book club, reads the book. Truth is, it is just a reason for a bunch of women to hang out, relax, and ogle Jamie. He handles it well. Olivia is embarrassed but successfully interacts and has a nice time. Jamie ends up taking Olivia's summer business class hoping to learn what he needs to know in order to implement his ideas for expanding the brewery. Chemistry is bubbling over between the two and they enter into an agreement for tutoring each other.

I will admit, the "you teach me to relax/have fun by us having sex" part of the agreement caused me to roll my eyes. Literally. I suspect it was just justification on Olivia's part to jump Jamie. He didn't put up a fight against her and I also admit, I enjoyed the scenes where they fulfilled the agreement. *eyebrow waggle* It is in this book where the notorious "mirror scene" happens. I will say no more about that so as not to spoil things.

Olivia is really good for Jamie and he's good for her. The Donovan dynamics are worked on during the story and Olivia helps repair some of the problems between Eric and Jamie. We get to see Tessa and Luke progress from book one. We also learn more about the perpetrators of the burglary.

If you're like me, read "Just One Taste" in The Guy Next Door and Good Girls Don't before jumping into this one. I must read a series in order or be very annoyed. If you are not like me, then read the series in any order you like, but read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Boys Do.