Candi's Reviews > The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Nov 08, 2011

bookshelves: middle-grade
Read in November, 2011

I like Rick Riordan books because you jump right in with the action, there isn't any lag time while the situation is set up. You hear the car horns while the hero rolls down the cliff, you see the dirty shirt when the hero rips it away from the hideous beasts attacking. It's a great pace for a middle grade book, no time to be bored or annoyed. This book was like that even more so because we already know the hero Percy, we know his motivations, and since he's regaining his memory as the book goes on, any back story is told in very small flashes that don't interrupt the plot line.
I love Percy, he's a fantastic hero, and now we have Hazel and Frank who are also pretty great a being heroes. I think I may like the way Frank and Hazel's relationship happens better than I liked Percy and Annabeth's. It is faster and seemed more natural, but it is by no means the focus of this book, which is being heroes and fighting to the death. I like that as Riordan adds Greek and Roman myths to the rich framework of the Olympian books he adds some deep ideas about making choices and living with the consequences, for eternity. And even though there are these philosophical ideas it is couched inside of heroic action, cleverly defeating bad guys, saving your friends so it never feels like you are being hit over the head with a moral. I don't even think the books are written with a moral in mind, further than fighting evil and doing heroic things which makes for a great story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Son of Neptune.