Dayna's Reviews > To Train Up a Child

To Train Up a Child by Michael Pearl

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: books-i-need-to-finish

I remember flipping through this as a kid, when my mom had it on her bookshelf, and thinking that it was ridiculous. Yes, I read these sorts of things and had opinions on it as a kid. I was the opinionated type, and when my parents figured out how to communicate with me I think they were proud of that fact. I don't think this is a book that either of my parents took to heart though, because none of the so-called abuse cited in recent controversy (arising from very real and very tragic cases of abuse) ever happened in our home. But I want to read it for real, and discover for myself just how bad the advice given within really is (or isn't). I would like to form an opinion on it from an adult perspective, instead of summing it up with the rather juvenile "this book is stupid."
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Train Up a Child.

11/10/2011 "Currently reading and making lots of notes."

Nathan C. I can at least say that it is more than the "beat-your-brat-whenever-he-disagrees" kind of book that most people here are saying it is. I wonder if any of them read it carefully. My parents brought me up that way, and I'm now 23 and very grateful to them for it.

message 2: by K.J. (new)

K.J. the book isn't "stupid", it's psychotic. It is not a "beat your brat whenever he disagrees" book, Nathan, it's a beat your infant/baby/kid and dog (yes, they beat their dogs too and he's proud of it) BEFORE they do ANYTHING in order to "train" them and "break their will". Nathan, seek counseling NOW. Your parents are sick sociopaths and you will be too if you do not attempt to get help.

Nathan C. K.J. wrote: "the book isn't "stupid", it's psychotic. It is not a "beat your brat whenever he disagrees" book, Nathan, it's a beat your infant/baby/kid and dog (yes, they beat their dogs too and he's proud of i..."

How can you say that when you don't even know them? My dad never, in all his life, even raised his voice at me. If they were ever upset at our behaviour, they waited until they were completely calm and kindly talked to us or disciplined us if necessary. Can you say as much for all the parents you know?

I can easily see someone looking for an excuse to beat their children and vent their anger. But that is exactly the opposite of what the Pearls enjoin. I wish you could observe them--or my parents--for a few days, so you could draw a better conclusion.