karen's Reviews > Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe by Allison Moon

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: welcome-author
Read from November 07 to 08, 2011

i know i said i was only going to read YA until my paper was due, but sometimes people sidle up to me at work and ask me to read their friend's book, and you just have to, you know??

i was going to give this thing 2 stars, when i was only three chapters in. the was so steeped in feminist dogma, i was getting a little twitchy with it. don't tell me this is going to be a lesbian werewolf book and then give me speeches about the horrors of the patriarchy, because then i'm just going to be looking for the nearest possible exit.

fortunately, after that character was done saying her bit, the book got a lot better. not great, but at least i could read it without getting frustrated with the narrowness of its gender politics.

i debated whether or not it should go on my "icky sex" shelf, but i think if both characters are werewolves, it is not technically bestiality. blood and chocolate had scenes where the participants were in the process of changing forms, which allowed me to declare "icky", but this one escapes that classification.

but just barely.

i think this is perfectly suitable for a YA audience, which gives me some relief that i went against my stated plans, although there are indeed some sexy sexy scenes. but kids today - they will probably not be scarred by it, and in the midst of all the tired old femtheory, can probably extract enough useful information about the importance of choosing one's own path and making the right decisions for their own personal philosophies.

it is not something i would have chosen on my own, but it is sometimes good to see what else is out there, and now i have one more book to add to my arsenal in my "werewolves are just not sexy to me" argument.

so thank goodness for that.
42 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunatic Fringe.

message 1: by Marta (new)

Marta Acosta Ya know, it never even occurred to me to create an "icky sex" shelf for books. I will say that I don't get the werewolf fascination in paranormal. Or weretigers. Or weregrranimals.

karen some sex is icky and needs to be told

message 3: by Marta (new)

Marta Acosta I agree re: the ickyness, yet it really depends on whether the ickiness is gratuitous, in which case I donate the book somewhere, or if the ickiness contributes to the story. Some ickiness you cannot get out of your head no matter how strongly you wish to extract it. Of course, ickiness is entirely subjective.

karen weregrranimals seems like it should be a universal ick.

message 5: by Marta (new)

Marta Acosta But you can mix and match them!

I'm afraid we've digressed from the discussion of the book. I do like the title in the bright yellow moon and the idea that this paranormal is not just about the usual magical love between an alpha male and his female counterpart.So, hurrah for some diversity.

karen true. and it is still sexxy, despite all the didactic stuff.

message 7: by Marta (new)

Marta Acosta I'll try to mention it on my blog soon. I actually like some didactic content in books. I see too many that are all princes and princesses and insta-love. I want characters to be aware of the world around them and to have an opinion about it.

karen oh - then this is your book for sure! it is a very thoughtful pre-intercourse book.

message 9: by Marta (new)

Marta Acosta Ha, "a very thoughtful pre-intercourse book" would make a great blurb. Always enjoy your reviews.

karen thank you!

Allison Moon LOL! I am totally going to use "a very thoughtful pre-intercourse book" in my marketing materials from now on. :D
Thanks for the review, Karen!)

karen hahah - oh, please do! and now i can put this on my "welcome, author" shelf! welcome, author!

message 13: by Marta (new)

Marta Acosta Allison, I'm still going to mention your book on my Vampire Wire blog, and I'll be sure to include Karen's insightful blurb. Also, I'll include Karen's helpful "no kids will be scarred by it" assurance.

karen ha! but there is some lovemaking!

message 15: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I'm sure the kind of parents who want to believe their kids are complete innocents wouldn't let them read this anyway.

message 16: by Douglas (new)

Douglas this is a fantastic review. 'don't tell me this is going to be a lesbian werewolf book and then give me speeches about the horrors of the patriarchy, because then i'm just going to be looking for the nearest possible exit.' touche!

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim http://trap.it/#!traps/id/dd802e33-36...

a note regarding YA books

Allison Moon karen wrote: "hahah - oh, please do! and now i can put this on my "welcome, author" shelf! welcome, author!"

Thanks! It's good to be here!