All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Seawitch

Seawitch by Kat Richardson

Aug 17, 2012

liked it
Read in August, 2012

“…this is not a job you quit – it’s one you die from.” – Harper Blaine, SEAWITCH

Though previous installments in the Greywalker series have been a little slow for my tastes, from that chilling line of the prologue onward, SEAWITCH had me hooked. The mystery presents itself on page one, in the figure of a ghost ship returned, empty and bloodspattered, after a twenty-seven year absence. The superstition of maritime magic fascinated me immediately, and the active presence of both Quinton and Sergeant Rey Solis offered plenty of character interaction to balance Harper’s meticulous narrative.

Though SEAWITCH is definitely my favorite Greywalker book thus far, the auspicious beginning didn’t carry all the way through the book. I got impatient when Harper repeated something I saw through her eyes for another character’s benefit, and often found myself flipping back a few pages to try and understand some bit of magic or narrative better. As always with witness testimony, sometimes the pieces don’t add up through malicious intent… and sometimes people are just forgetful. Richardson’s writing had me trying to figure things out alongside Harper, but there are times when I have much less patience than our dogged heroine.

Despite an explosive first half, things slowed down to a crawl when the characters began to brainstorm possible answers to this particular mystery. My attention wandered with each “What if” scenario, anxious to get to action and confirmation of who (or what) had brought about the Seawitch’s end. I’m glad I came back to the Greywalker series, but I find myself repeating the 3 bat rating of DOWNPOUR. SEAWITCH starts and finishes strong, but the ebb and flow of my attention won’t have me hurry to pre-order book 8… but I will probably curl up with it when I next crave a mystery.

Sexual Content: References to sex and rape.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seawitch.