Laurie's Reviews > West with the Wind

West with the Wind by Cindi Myers

Feb 26, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, action, fiction, historical, kindle, read-in-2011, romance, western
Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy

Mariah Tate, a strong-willed woman, heads to California to make a fresh start; her aim is to escape scandal and a hateful mother-in-law. Joining a small wagon train, and traveling with but a few personal belongings, Mariah and her canine companion, Worthy, face the trials of the trail with gumption and fortitude.

Having successfully crossed the country seven times already, this is the last journey for trail-weary Campbell Jefferson. With money earned from guiding this last group of hopeful greenhorns, Camp wants to buy a spread and settle down in California.

A single woman traveling alone on such a perilous journey is unheard of, but Mariah refuses to take no for an answer when pleading to join the wagon train Camp will be guiding. Thus, begins the story of their westward journey, an often arduous, dangerous trek. Mariah and Camp find themselves drawn to each other, but Mariah will let nothing deter from her duty; the secrets of her past haunt her present and strain to poison her future.

The authentic western flavor of the pioneer spirit makes this novel a spellbinding read. I became easily caught up in the adventure; immersed in the past. Mariah is a woman who embodies many of the traits associated with the hearty, adventurous folk of that time, yet still is an independent woman who is ahead of her time, as well; for me, that made her a unique and extremely likable heroine. Honestly, though, Worthy stole the show. Some of the best scenes in the book showed Worthy as the loyal, brave and intelligent companion he is. I also laughed out loud when he met up with a colony of prairie dogs the first time. The story is driven by the characters in it, and it is them that I related to most as they boldly strove to overcome all obstacles on their journey to golden California.

Laurie
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read West with the Wind.