Misfit's Reviews > The Women of Eden

The Women of Eden by Marilyn Harris

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: not-recommended-for-the-fluffies, historical-fiction, victorian-england
Read from November 07 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Against the odds, John Murrey Eden carved out a huge financial empire and he rules it all - including the Women of Eden - his childlike wife Lila, his foster mother Elizabeth, his Indian mistress Dhari and his cousin Mary. Unfortunately, John's passion for protecting his women ultimately becomes an obsession, and the more the women resist him the greater is his need to control them, until love finally becomes hate and madness sets in...

This is one of those those books where the plot description is better left on the minimal side, you really do want to read it for your self (besides, as soon as this review is finished I can move on to book five). You'll find plenty of murder, madness, mayhem, rape, treachery, betrayal, deceit and Lord knows what else inside of these 600 pages. John sinks just about as low as it can go when he needs to regain control over his loved ones (and that's not just the women),

I loathed John and was turning the pages waiting and praying for pay back time. I loved Burke and Mary's story (can I have a Burke of my very own?), and really hope they get some HEA time in the next book after all that John and the evil Miss Veal and her evil girl's school put her through. And Lila, poor innocent Lila. Sniff. What can I say but READ THESE BOOKS.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women of Eden.

11/08/2011 page 107
11/08/2011 page 187
31.0% "Oh. God. The leeches. TMI..." 3 comments
11/09/2011 page 254
42.0% "I had a sneaking suspicion Lila had more than a bun in the oven. Poor dear, I'm guessing no one's going to get there in time..."
11/09/2011 page 275
46.0% "As for the man, he could be dealt with in any number of ways. The more difficult corpse was Mary. He wanted never again to be in her presence.

I see trouble ahead with a capital "T".

11/09/2011 page 276
46.0% "Stunned by the immensity of his hate, he realized curiously that he could not distinguish Mary's face from Lila's, or Lila's from Harriet's, Harriet's from Elizabeth's. The enemy was simply one monstrous female with painted lips and spread legs, luring all men to their destruction.

Methinks JME is just a wee bit ticked at what he just witnessed in the glen. What say the rest of you?

11/09/2011 page 286
48.0% "I have a fear that I've guessed what JME has in store for Mary. Please let me be wrong. Please let me be wrong. Please let me be wrong..."
11/09/2011 page 301
50.0% "Her last clear image was of a little girl with long hair running across the headlands of Eden, gathering wild flowers.

With strict instructions, she ordered her soul to stay with the child in that bright and safe world...

John Murrey Eden may you rot in hell for what you've done.

" 3 comments
11/09/2011 page 368
61.0% "Wow, the Cheltenham School for ladies really existed (and still does) " 8 comments
11/09/2011 page 366
61.0% "Effortlessly he fashioned a noose, dropped it around his neck, shrugged off the cloak, for he would not need its warmth where he was going, and stepped off the trunk, filled with books documenting the wisdom and folly of ancient philosophers, into an abyss where neither wisdom nor folly counted for much..." 2 comments
11/10/2011 page 389
65.0% ""Gone. This is a house of mourning-"

Burke, no no no. Gah, what a misunderstanding!

11/10/2011 page 418
69.0% "Whatever the offense caused by the mysterious scribbler, it pales in comparison to the human folly to which we were all forced to bear witness.

Damn, even drama in the courtroom.

11/10/2011 page 425
71.0% "Glad I took the day off. I don't think I could leave this book behind for eight hours..." 5 comments
11/10/2011 page 450
75.0% ""It resembles--John's handwriting."

I so hope shite is going to start hitting the fan soon.

" 5 comments
11/10/2011 page 507
84.0% ""And I would do it again. My only regret is that the villains did not finish the job and kill her, for she's dead to me now, along with all hopes I once had for her."

OK, is it possible that JME is even badder than our old soap opera baddies? JR Ewing? Blake Carrington? Palmer Courtland? Adam Chandler? Can any of them top John?

" 3 comments
11/10/2011 page 520
86.0% "Nutty Mrs. Stanhope and the paring knife are making me awfully nervous..." 2 comments
11/10/2011 page 544
90.0% "Unfortunately he'd tried to remake human beings in his own image, and had found flesh and blood to be less malleable to his will than iron and brick." 2 comments
11/10/2011 page 581
97.0% "The image was clear before him, the last shrouded mists lifting, revealing the face, though the form was horribly mutilated, the white gown torn open revealing a split abdomen, red slime coating white flesh, a disembloweled specter who nonetheless smiled at him.

Damn, that was a surprise ghostly appearence. And just in time I hope.

"

Karla Woohoo, now you can pick it up sooner than later. Always a good thing.

Misfit I'd have been fine if the PBS person in line had bothered to even confirm that they'd ship or not.

message 3: by the_cat (new)

the_cat hm define fluffies plz? :D

Misfit the_cat wrote: "hm define fluffies plz? :D"

A bit of a private joke, and hard to explain. I mean no respect whatsoever to romance readers, or those who enjoy reading on the lighter side of things.

Karla I've been finding it harder and harder to write reviews for these books because I don't want to get too muddled with the plot and let spoilers slip. I haven't this much trouble deciding what to say since Dark Fires. Mentioning one thing always leads to another and another.... And Eden Rising has the mother of all spoilers in it. Ack, such hard work we review writers willingly embrace for the good of the collective.

Misfit You did good with yours, I would have just repeated what you'd already donem plus I really was too lazy to try to think up anything else. Series are so hard though, as you always end up giving something away of what happened before it. I'm not even going to put anything else up on the blog until I'm done.

Karla Thanks. I'm wondering what I'll end up struggling over with Book 6. There's always something to fret and ponder. I think it MIGHT be a bit easier since the repeated characters are going to be VERY limited - Mary & Burke. And JME's son Stephen, who is now grown up and was only a very little boy in Eden Rising.

Misfit Hmmm. I think I saw something about Stephen and Mary's daughter in the blurb for American Eden.

I was foolish with the outlander books. Kept reading ahead on the reviews and ended up with huge spoilers. I know if I read a review months ahead of going into a book I'll forget a lot, but when I'm currently reading I have to avoid as much as I can. Still it's hard not to let some things slip - and that blurb for Eden Rising is just vicious what it gives away.

Karla Maybe I should do some judicious editing on that....

Misfit Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Maybe I should do some judicious editing on that...."

I had been thinking of asking the Librarians group whether that should have a spoiler tag attached. Really, it is uncalled for. By the time you are well into book #3 OK, but if you're brand new to the series it just should not be read.

Misfit PS, I did get the HB today and added the blurb for that to my edition. Perhaps we should change it to default description since it doesn't spill so many beans?

Karla Sure, go ahead and do that. Because spoiling the whole Harriet thing is WRONG!

Misfit I think that will take care of it. I agree, if I was just looking at those blurbs while starting on the first book I would be sooooooooooooooooo mad :/