Mari Anne's Reviews > Dying to Meet You

Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise

Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: mg-ya
Read in November, 2011

3.5 stars for this graphic epistolary mystery (thanks to the author for supplying that succint description.) Basically this is a children's mysery book writting in the epistolic style (story told through letters) and also graphically illustrated. A unique and original concept that totally works for this book.

This is the story of Seymour, a young boy abandoned by his parents to live in a house with his best friend... a ghost named Olive. A renter appears for the summer, a grumpy author, and noone's life (or undeadness) will be the same.

This is a Nebraska Golden Sower nominee for 2011 and I have to say I found it amusing and very creative. I am not sure that the kids will get all the jokes but hopefully they will appreciate the author and illustrator's creativity. My only complaint is that the plot and character development are thin but the story does move along at a very nice pace-- always important for a good kid's read!

Kudos to the author for some of THE most clever character names. Some of my favorites include: Paige Turner (publisher); Anita Sale (real estate agent); E. Gadds (lawyer); M. Balm (librarian) - I can never NOT laugh when I read that one!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying to Meet You.