Meen's Reviews > A Confederacy of Dunces

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Feb 13, 09

bookshelves: fiction, funny-ha-ha
Recommended to Meen by: ma Madame!
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in February, 2009, read count: 2

Final review: (Until I read it again, and oh I WILL read it again!) I LOVE this book. I love the New Orleans of it. I love the brutal satire. I love the sexuality of it that I didn't really pay attention to the first time I read it. And funny, my gawd, it's funny. And sad. And sweet. And inuriating. Just brilliant. What a great loss is Toole. Is there a biography of him? I'd really like to read that.

Feb 2009: Getting to reread this one now thanks to Sally! Yay!

May 2008: This is one of the books that I have actually lost somewhere along the way... I guess it had to happen considering how many books I have and how many times I've moved, but I wish it had been like the Emmet Fox collection or some theistic silliness like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Confederacy of Dunces.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sally I'm so glad I was able to share the hilarity. It was just languishing on my shelf, next to a much cuter hardcover edition.

Last year I had to find a passage of one of my favorite books to read aloud in class. I seriously considered, at some length, reading the scene where Ignatius first takes the hot dog cart job.

RandomAnthony Yes, this is a great one...people who don't love this book scare me a little.

Meen I could see how it might make some people uncomfortable, but I don't get any literary objections to it. I think it's better satire than Swift! (And I really like Swift.)

Amanda I don't love this book.
Run and hide, Anthony. Run and hide.

Meen What didn't you like, Mandy?

Amanda The main character. He was icky. :)

Meen Well, yeah, like I said, I can see how some folks wouldn't be able to stomach the book, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Ignatius IS icky! He's supposed to be!

Jackie "the Librarian" I didn't like it either. Too much sphincter talk, I guess.

Shelly Yeah, I didn't like it either. Glad to know I'm not alone.
I like your enthusiasm, though.

Sally Oh my word. Where are the lovers?!?

message 11: by Meen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meen Here I is!

And it wasn't the sphincter, Jackie, it was his pyloric valve!

I tend to enjoy works that make me uncomfortable. Have any of you ever read The End Of Alice? Now, THERE'S an uncomfortable book. But I loved it. I guess I'm just a masochist!

Michelle "...people who don't love this book scare me a little."

RA, I don't love this book.

RandomAnthony Yes, but I'm taller than you, so I'm not as scared:)

message 14: by Joni (last edited Apr 29, 2010 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joni Wagner I LOVE this book, it's my all time favorite, and I don't HAVE favorites... not singular, specific favorites in ANY category, excepting this one, of course.

It's about time to read it again.

message 15: by Meen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meen I was just thinking the same thing!

A. Gamble One of my favorite books, and like Joni, I'm not too big on claiming favorites. Every time I read it, I love it more. Now that I live in New Orleans full-time, instead of just staying here with my aunts or friends, it hits home even harder.

This book saved me from a deep depression as a teenager, and, years later, when a friend came over talking about suicide, I gave her a copy that she claims saved her life.

message 17: by Meen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meen Alyson, that's really interesting. What about it was helpful for you? I can think of lots of adjectives to describe this book, but inspirational isn't necessarily one... Although, I don't know that being inspirational leads one out of depression... What would be a word to describe that? I guess maybe just the hilarity of it would be good for depression.

And, I'm jealous of your living in N.O. I always thought I'd end up there (after living everywhere else along the Coast). And maybe after law school I'll come join ya! Gahd knows there will be plenty of social justice work to do there.