Masquerade Crew's Reviews > Trueblood's Plight

Trueblood's Plight by E.S. Lark

Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

SHARON'S REVIEW

Trueblood's Plight is a fascinating fantasy read. The characters include human, as well as magical creatures, the Gryphons. There are other fantastical characters, who are peripheral, and not described very well. After the initial necessary slog through scene setting and character introduction, the story moves fast. This is a classic story of good versus evil, trust versus betrayal, and love versus debilitating hatred. Above and beyond that, the story becomes an intricately woven mystery. At a point near the end, it is difficult to tell what is truth, and what is magical illusion.

Ava's clan is under attack by the Kar'itsai – a group of creatures who have closed off their food supply, with magic and troops. The Gryphons, giphens, and their human allies are starved to the point of non resistance. The enemy want Ava, and more importantly, her magical abilities. As one of only two truebloods in existence, they need her to use against the other trueblood – who has turned against his own clan. My heart went out to Ava and her human friend Kivra, as they forge into enemy territory to form an alliance with a powerful mage.

The story revolves around Ava, a young giphen, and her gryphon elders. As a novitiate to gryphon lore, I didn't know that gryphons and giphens were two different races. They are of the same species, but different. I thought they were the same creature, but the author was having spell check issues. It's possible that gyphens are the author's own construct, and not related to accepted gryphon lore, so I was confused until the difference in race was mentioned around the fifth chapter. I think the character analysis should have been a little less confusing at the beginning.

Trueblood's Plight is a powerful tale, with many ins and outs winding through the plot line. The reader has to pay very close attention to each one of the main characters, their emotions and their actions. As the story unfolds, it's a bit difficult to decide who the good guys are, and who are evil incarnate. There is a lot of grey area, where it's hard to tell. This story could be rough to wade through for readers who are unused to fantasy story lines that change their direction entirely, merely by invoking some convenient magic. Fortunately, I am a fantasy fan who enjoys a good challenge that engages my imagination. I loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trueblood's Plight.