Megan's Reviews > Only the Good Spy Young

Nov 07, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: audio-book, not-mine-library, young-adult
Read from November 01 to 03, 2011

Ally Carter is not finished writing this series, but I may be finished reading it. A shame, because it started out so different and positive and kind of cool. The worst to be said was that it was a little too naive and upbeat. But it's published by Hyperion, which is owned by Disney, so all the sparkles are a little expected. Besides, this series boasts ideas such as girl power, loyalty, and even self respect over cute boys (unheard of in YA, right?) so it's a great series for younger girls.

However, at the fourth installment of the series it is still all about protagonist Cammie Morgan. Her bff's/roomies/fellow spies-in-training Bex, Macey and Liz remain bland, one dimensional cheerleaders for Team Cammie. The adults all focus on Cammie. And heartthrob/mystery guy/danger guy/ridiculously-to-suave-to-be-a-teenager Zach continues to swoop into and out of Cammie's life.

At this point in the series... it is not perfect, but there are so many positive's which outweigh the negatives. Yet, how disappointing that by book four the cast of characters are no more in depth than they are in the first installment? Yes, the themes approached in each book are more mature. But the writing, plot and characterization remain the same. These have been cute books and great brain candy. For younger girls, I recommend them whole-heartedly. But for adult readers of YA.... ah, read at your own risk ;)
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only the Good Spy Young.

03/18 marked as: read

S.R. Wemyss Thank you! You are the first person I have seen rate this book lower that a 3. This book was so disapointing! Of course I have to take into account that I started reading this series when I was 11. Maybe it wasn't the writing that changed, maybe it was just me that changed.

Megan It is sad to be disappointed by childhood faves :( Although this series came out long after I was the "appropriate" age for it, I imagine I would have LOVED it as a pre-teen.

S.R. Wemyss Yeah, the first two books were on my favorite shelf for A LONG TIME. Soon, I'm going to re-read the Lemony Snicket series. The last time I read them, I believe I was 8. I desperatly hope I'm not disapointed...

Megan Well, for what it's worth, I read and loved Lemony Snicket as an adult. Yeah, the series is obviously geared towards children and becomes slightly repetative. But lots of adults still find a lot of enjoyment out of those books :)

S.R. Wemyss That's great to hear. :)

Mrm33 U should read the rest of the series! It is really good. I do agree this one was the worst by far. But u should read the rest of the series.