Siew Ee's Reviews > The Broken Lake

The Broken Lake by Shelena Shorts

Nov 10, 11

Read from November 07 to 08, 2011

This second book is more happening than the first, in terms of story development and content while the level of suspense remains more or less the same. What I like about this series, as I have mentioned in my review for “The Pace”, is the unique storyline as opposed to so many other paranormal teen books. So will I recommend this to my daughter? Hmmm… maybe not – not because this book is not interesting enough, but because the mystery factor is not strong enough to entice her. This is primarily a romantic fiction but I’m glad it was readable enough to keep me turning the pages cos I find from experience that most second books in trilogies are the most boring.

The romance was a little contrived in the first book, but in “The Broken Lake”, the relationship between Wes and Sophie is more believable and even sweet sometimes. I like the character of Wes – mature, steady and steadfast in love. However, the character of Sophie is less likeable; she is too clingy for a girlfriend but I guess that is understandable, with her predicted imminent death and all. However, I still find it hard to sympathise with her.

Smart of the author to finish the 2nd book in a cliffhanger. I will read on to find what happens in the end. Overall, an entertaining book. I just hope the “Iron Quill” will give a satisfactory conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Lake.