Pawan's Reviews > The Immortals of Meluha

The Immortals of Meluha by Amish Tripathi

M 50x66
Nov 07, 2011

read count: 1

I was looking at this book “The Immortals of Meluha” in a store while passing my time and thinking that I should go back and buy it from my favorite bookstore where I would have got it at discount and within a week I actually got this book as a gift. The subject is fictional history which is one of my favorite genres but the way of writing is something beyond my imagination. I was actually laughing at the author at many places where he has reduced the conversation between Indian mythology characters and Gods to ridiculously simplistic and modern western dialog writing. I hate him for doing this but at the same time I was hooked to the book and actually finished it very fast and very quickly started on the sequel but the story of sequel some other time.

Amish Tripathi’s premise is that all the Indian mythological Gods were simple human beings and became our Gods through the deeds that they had performed during their life time. In this series, he has taken up the example of Shiva who is a leader of nomadic tribe living near Mansarovar and comes to the kingdom of Meluha at their invitation. Here he is recognized as their fabled savior due to his blue throat and they consider him their Lord Neelkanth. He helps them in their fight against neighboring kingdom but then begins to realize that his fight is not against evil and he needs to search for real evil.

In a way it is a really good way to simplify mythology and history with fiction while keeping the gist of message. What I really do not understand is his attempt to trivialize the conversations between his main characters. At the same time, I do not know how people were communicating in those times and probably their conversations were as playful as mentioned here. I guess I will continue to have a love hate relationship with this kind of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortals of Meluha.