Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > The Vincent Boys

The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, super-cheese, contemporary-romance
Read from June 07 to 09, 2012

2.5 stars. My low rating is only for some strange behavior quirks but The Vincent Boys wasn't a bad way to pass a couple of hours, even if the book had a few moments that I could have lived without.

For the most part, this was a quick, simple, and somewhat entertaining love story - with a few glaring flaws.

Beau - He's the stereotypical bad boy in a stereotypical story. He's hot; he knows it; he flaunts it. Yet, he has a soft side because he carries a torch for the one girl he's always wanted but could not have.

For a moment, I was having Cage and Willow deja vu, even though I knew this book came before Because of Low. I'm pretty sure when I eventually read Cage's book I'll have Beau deja vu.

I am an admitted bad boy lover, but I don't think calling your promiscuous girlfriend a whore (multiple times) gives you an extra hole punch on the bad boy card. The previous sleeping around I get (as long as he's not attached, who am I to judge?) but insulting your girlfriend after you sleep with her? That's pretty low class. How about beating up on your cousin multiple times when not every situation needed to go that far? Hey, I like a protective man who will defend you by kicking ass as much as the next girl, but there's fine line between being protective and being a jackass.

"Girl you should've seen the bloody mess Beau made of Ryan's face. He beat the crap out of him. It was hot."

Okay, so maybe Ryan deserved it. But when Beau turned around and did the same thing to Sawyer...eh. A small bitch slap would have sufficed. Rage beating someone when they didn't do anything except not stand up for another person is a bit extreme.

That said, even with the shenanigans, Beau was still my favorite character because at least he had some sort of personality, flaws and all. It's hard not to be a little crazy about a romantic lead when you're reading inside of a guy's head and he's thinking about how much he wants this one person and would do anything to get her. This is why romance readers like romance, after all. The giddy feelings are fun.

Sawyer - Yawn. He better go extra bad in book 2 because no one wants to read about a guy who has the personality of a postage stamp.

Ashton (Ash) - Pretty blonde with curly hair, long legs, a tan, and a nice body - yet she thinks she's no beauty queen. Been there, read that. I think this character was recycled from Breathe.

This being the fourth book I've read by Glines now, I'm gathering that this author tends to write within her comfort zone. The characters and stories don't change all that much between series, other than little differences here and there.

The editing errors were pretty noticeable. 'Your' and 'you're' were switched multiple times, as were 'to' and 'too.' It wasn't enough to take me out of story but I thought I'd include it in the review in case that is a factor for someone else.

So really...are there positives?

Yes. If you like love stories that are easy to sink into and know that you'll get that happy little shiver over reading about a guy who will stop at nothing to keep the girl he loves safe, this book's probably a safe bet to work for you. The book is honestly not a bad read...it's just got some hiccups along the way. The story is nothing new or earth shattering, but entertaining doesn't always need to be. I enjoyed the read and still liked Beau for all of his misguided ways. I'll probably check out the next book just to see what trouble Sawyer can get into.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vincent Boys.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza I read Existence and didn't care for it and them saw this one for free an amazon so I decided to give her another try. Im glad I did because it was much better,I thought maybe she is just better with contemporary romance than supernatural stuff. Can't wait to see what you think!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I've read three books by her now. I severely disliked Breathe, thought Existence was on the low side of average (2.5 stars but rounded down to a 2 on the GR star chart. I liked Dank as the character of death, but was so not a fan of Pagan's pining. And the names - so awful!), and actually enjoyed Because of Low quite a bit. I'm looking forward to book 3 in Sea Breeze because BoL redeemed the series for me.

So it's such a crapshoot with her books. Hopefully I'll like this one like you did.

Zemira Warner Finally someone who agrees with me. I hated this book with passion. I know hate is a strong word,but not for this book.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I wasn't all the way in hate territory because I thought Breathe was worse (because it was also boring) but your previous rant was entertaining.

This author is a very weird puzzle for me. I don't hate everything she writes but she manages to put at least one thing in every book that makes me want to bang my head on the desk. I am actually hoping so much that Cage's book (Sea Breeze 3) isn't going to be a repeat of Beau because I think Cage is an interesting bad boy to read about so far but if he starts going all roid ragey, I might have my own turn to rant.

Zemira Warner I am crazy because for some reason I continue and read books this lady writes. I have no idea what is wrong with me. Why do I torture myself? She has some great idea but she writes some stupid scenes and characters it makes me wanna scream.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Have you read Vincent Brothers yet? I ended up reading this book so I could join a discussion for the second book. I'm curious to see if Sawyer grows a pair...

Zemira Warner Yes I have. And it was painfully bad. I probably need to stop reading Glines' books.

message 8: by Kajol (new)

Kajol Love the review! Guess my hesitation to picking that up was justified after all. :P

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Stacia. I figured this books was your stereotypical romance with stereotypical characters. These type of books work when you're in the mood for stereotypical read, which sometimes happens. Lol.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh absolutely. I completely agree. Sometimes you don't always need bells and whistles to escape in a book. I had friends who loved this one and it worked well enough for me to pass the time.

Joan (official heroine hater) you know, I've been meaning to read this one for ages, it is always popping up in my recommendations. From your review, I find myself in the mood for a cheesy romance with a decent bad boy right now-think I'll go grab it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Have you read anything else by this author? If so, then you'll know her style already.

Joan (official heroine hater) Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "Have you read anything else by this author? If so, then you'll know her style already.

It's kind of funny that a review could make one person want to read the book and another want to stay away!"

All it takes for me to want to read it is a decent bad boy :-) I did read her other one Existence and it was okay but the female character drove me nuts-too much crying and sobbing!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I don't think this one is any better/worse than Existence but maybe you'll like it better. There's crying in this book also (hence the comparison to Thoughtless, the book with the most crying I've ever seen). I actually liked both Beau from this book and Dank from Existence. It's really only the females who seem to lack appeal. In fact, the only female character I halfway liked in all 4 of Glines' books was Willow from Because of Low.

Romaceiswhatibreathe talk about haters this book was awesome just letting you know that

Stacia (the 2010 club) Haha. I've been called worse.

Not everyone's going to love every book. I've read better, even by this author.

Romaceiswhatibreathe ok i get that i have books i dont like either like the second book to this series

Romaceiswhatibreathe i get that i understand i have books i dont like either like "the Vincent brothers"

Kristin Baxter "She strings along Beau for the sake of not wanting to hurt Sawyer. It's Thoughtless the junior version, complete with all of the crying and some of the blushing."

Yes!!!! Thoughtless, Jr...perfect description of Ashton! She got on my dang nerves. I liked Beau, though. Then again, I'm a big fan of "bad boys!" ;-) So did you ever read While it Lasts? I seriously *loved* Cage. (He's in my top 3 book boyfriends lol) I even kind of liked Eva, too.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I did read While it Lasts. It was fun.