Chilly SavageMelon's Reviews > Solar

Solar by Ian McEwan

190820
Dec 01, 11

Read from November 22 to December 02, 2011

3.5 actually. I see from other reviews here that people are griping because "Michael is not a likeable character". Does Ratso Rizzo not being a likeable character detract from the power of Midnight Cowboy? Hell, no! And if you must, think of him as a character with flaws on such a level, though he is a Nobel Prize winner. We can also easily picture him stuffing his coat pockets with sandwiches at a party, though were the film crew to bust him he would be more mortified AND adept at lying his way out of the situation.

It's a funny book. Darkly funny. It seems to me some readers here took it too seriously, or couldn't laugh at the pathetic guy, a characterized metaphor for many of the ills of modern western man. And McEwan writes amazing prose; even the detractors seem to admit this. I suppose it does take the personality of a certain type of reader to enjoy this, but should you think you might be one, don't let other pansy reviews put you off. This novel is well done, and I enjoyed reading it as much as I suspect McEwan enjoyed writing it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solar.