Stacey Jo's Reviews > Condor and the Crown

Condor and the Crown by John Simpson

1950408
Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: mm-cops-fbi-cia-body-guards, mm-action-suspense, series-part-of, 3-mm-i-own, mm-family-is-the-focus, mm-legal-businessmen-workplace-c, 4-mm-i-ve-read, mm-military
Read from November 12 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Condor and the Crown is the fifth, and most recent, book in the Condor Series by John Simpson. This one had way more action in it than the previous book with David and Shane getting right in the middle of the action on this one when Jack's body guard's are killed and he is abducted.

At this point, David, Shane and Jack are settled into Winfield House in London where David is the American Ambassador. Just as life gets settled, Jack is kidnapped by Gaddafi's men for events that David put into motion in the fourth Out of the Gilded Cage. David is insane with rage and vows to murder the kidnappers with his bare hands if anything happens to his son. He and Shane go along with covert-ops to get their son back. They have to be crafty about setting the mission up, and it's risky, but David's involved, so you know it will go well (I've always said he has a bit of the Midas Touch). The action isn't over yet though. For very good reasons, David and Shane get back into the action once more to exact their own revenge. All of this was very action oriented and plot driven and very good.

Now I'll take a moment to grumble a bit. Mary is back with her boys. Although I thought she was supposed to be retiring. Why the sudden change of heart with seemingly no second thought? And David was 14 at the end of Out of the Gilded Cage yet he starts out in this book at the age of 12. Where did those 2 years go? And I complained in my review of book 4 and I'm doing it again, but Jack was a kid who lived on the streets and then a shelter and having sex with other kids before he was adopted by David and Shane. This Jack in the story is very innocent and child-like. He just doesn't fit the image of a kid with the background that he has lived in his short life.

Now back things I like... Darren and Prince Michael. They made a cute, sweet couple and their budding relationship added a freshness to the story with the promise of additional stories about them, or one can hope. It was interesting to see David interacting with his cousin, King William. There was also more sex in this one than the last and that was due in part to Darren and Prince Michael. However, people don't read this series for sex, because if you do, you will be sorely dissapointed. Most of that is "off page" anyway.

It's very obvious that John Simpson knows what he's talking about when it comes to the secret service, covert-ops missions and the like. I'm interested to see if David, Shane, Jack, and Mary decide to stay in London or not. I'm sure there are lots of things they can manage to get themselves into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Condor and the Crown.