Kirsty's Reviews > Eat Pray Love: One Woman's Search For Everything

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Dec 18, 2010

bookshelves: favourites
Read in October, 2010

It's been over a month since I read this book and I'm finally getting around to reviewing it. I suppose the good thing about waiting a while to review a book is that you get to see whether the book stays with you after you've finished reading. This one did.

The journey taken by the author is actually one that I'd love to take myself right now. Whilst I've not married yet and therefore have not gone through a divorce, I do feel somewhat lost at the moment and have spent time questioning who I am. Gilbert's journey to 'find herself' is therefore very relevant at this time in my life.

There wasn't one part of this book that I didn't enjoy. The different countries fascinated me and I would love to visit them some day. The spiritual parts of the book in particular were very interesting to me. I consider myself a pretty spiritual person and this book definitely made me want to explore this side of myself in more depth. I loved the peace and serenity of the part of the book that was set in India and I loved the honesty of the author when she confessed that meditation was extremely difficult for her initially. The part in Italy definitely appeared to the food lover in me, and the part in Bali just sounded so amazing that I couldn't help but want to go visit and to meet the Balinese Medicine Man that she became friends with!

It took me a while to read this book, but that's because I wanted to savour it all and so I wanted to take my time. I know that some people have found it difficult to connect with the author because the writing is very self-indulgent, but lets face it, this isn't supposed to be a travel guide, it's a journey of SELF discovery and so doesn't that kind of indicate that the book is going to be pretty much solely about the author?

I actually read this after seeing the movie, which usually ruins a book for me, however I loved them both in equal measure. This is definitely one of my favourite reads and I think this may be one of the few books that I will periodically re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat Pray Love.

10/17/2010 page 14
10/24/2010 page 154
40.96% "Making slow progress with this one as I'm having trouble with my concentration levels at the moment. Enjoying it though!"
show 1 hidden update…