Audrey's Reviews > The Beany Malone Cookbook

The Beany Malone Cookbook by Lenora Mattingly Weber

May 23, 14

bookshelves: cookbooks, young-adult-fiction, series
Read from December 09 to 12, 2011, read count: 1

There are very few recipes from this that I would ever even consider making, as most recipes rely on things like bacon fat, heavy cream, and lots of canned products and processed packaged foods. Some of the dishes sound truly disgusting (molded vegetable jello served with mayo, bacon and peanut butter sandwiches with mayo and pepper relish…you get the idea). But I’m not reading this for the recipes; I’m reading it because I enjoyed the Beany books and wanted to read all of them. Along with the food there are a lot of stories and descriptions relating to the books, which is why I picked it up.

I was really surprised that there was a chapter on "natural foods." Still, this is the '70s when things like brown rice were a novelty, but it was still kind of interesting. I loved that in that section they mentioned that Ruth and Magee rode their bicycles to cut down on pollution and used biodegradable soaps and stuff. Even some of the natural recipes sound a little odd, but I give Weber credit for including them in the first place (even if most, unfortunately, aren’t vegan, it’s a step in the right direction towards a more conscious—if not yet compassionate—lifestyle).

I really like how Weber weaves the characters into the recipes. There are also lots of notes and tips that give the book a personalized tone (“Hot cocoa seems to taste better out of a heavy mug”). For a cookbook, it's quite enjoyable to read. While I can’t recommend it for the recipes, I enjoyed the descriptions and stories.

P.S. When I read the part about how the Malones entertained the governor of Wyoming (242), who Martie went to school with, it reminded me of Something Borrowed Something Blue in which he tells how as a boy he went on a paper route with the boy that eventually went on to become the governor of Colorado. So two childhood acquaintances became governors? Hmm.

Edited to add (2014): I'm no longer vegan. I still like lots of vegan food and have nothing against it, but being vegan was not helping me get over my eating disorder (possibly quite the contrary). It's just so much more important to me to be happy and healthy and work toward a FULL recovery!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beany Malone Cookbook.

12/10/2011 page 107